|Soda Bread & Jam|
Have you ever fancied making a loaf of bread but either didn't have the time to wait for it to do it's thing; wanted it quite promptly; didn't have the energy to knead for 10 minutes; or even didn't really know how to? Well in that case, why not make a loaf of Soda Bread?
It's seriously quick and easy; tasty; and because it contains no yeast requires no kneading. NO KNEADING! Nor Proving. NO PROVING! Hurrah! This particular recipe also contains oats, a slow release of carbohydrates. What's not to like?!
|Soda Bread Ingredients|
Soda Bread Yum
Volume: Makes 1 loaf
Time: approx. 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes baking time
What You'll Need
125g wholemeal flour
125g white plain flour
70g jumbo oats
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp salt
splash of milk
How to make it
1. Pre-heat oven to 220c / 210c Fan / Gas 7
2. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper - just to prevent your loaf from potentially sticking.
3. In a large bowl mix together the wholemeal flour, white flour, oats, bicarbonate of soda and salt and make a well in the centre of the ingredients.
4. At this stage you need to work quickly. Pour the buttermilk into the well and with your hand, bring the ingredients together to create a dough. You may need a splash of milk - I usually do.
5. Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and very quickly shape it into a ball. Flatten it lightly with the palm of your hand.
6. With a sharp knife, make two slashes across the top of the loaf to make a cross. The action needs to be quick to get a clean cut.
7. Place the loaf onto the lined baking try and place in the oven. Bake for 18 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 190c / Fan 180c / Gas 5 and continue baking for a further 10 - 13 minutes. You may need to rotate your loaf when the oven temperature is reduced. The loaf will be ready when it sounds slightly hollow when tapped on its bottom.
8. When the loaf has finished cooking, place on a rack to cool.